This recipe is a brilliant take on Sinigang! I first had this at Locavore and I swear muntik ko ng maubos yung isang order haha! Ang sarap nya and when I attended the #LutongNanay event of Knorr, I was so thrilled that I was assigned this recipe (along with Rowena and Joy). It was the most tedious but my gosh all the preps are so worth it!!
As with this recipe, I also did a downloadable file so that you can also print it out 🙂 The best thing about learning recipes is learning new techniques. In this case, I learned how to make a roux, which is a thickening agent that was added to the sinigang broth to make the gravy!
I took a video of Chef Sari plating the dish. Imagine doing this for Sunday lunch! Bongga! Talagang #AsimKiligPaMore!
To get the full recipe, please click on the link below 🙂 Happy cooking!
Knorr Sizzling Sinigang
• 500 grams beef short ribs
• 10 shallots or baby red onions
• 6 cloves of garlic unpeeled
• 2 tsp oil
• 2 tbsp butter
• 5 cups water
• 2 knorr beef cubes
• 1 1/2 tbsp knorr sinigang mix (add more if preferred)
• 2 tsp soy sauce
• 1 1/2 tsp patis
• 2 tsp knorr seasoning
• 2 tbsp chopped garlic
• Roux : 3 tbsp butter + 3 tbsp flour
1. Sear the short ribs in oil and butter until brown. Transfer the beef in a pressure cooker and add water only to cover the meat. Cook for 45 minutes or until meat is tender.
2. Remove meat and liquid from pressure cooker.
3. In a pot add 6 cups of liquid from the pressure cooker and combine with the sinigang mix and beef cube. Bring the mixture to a boil then simmer. Season with patis and soy sauce. Add seasoning to taste.
4. While sinigang broth is simmering, prepare the garnish: deep fry shallots (unpeeled) and the garlic cloves (unpeeled) until crisp. Set aside.
5. Fry tomatoes until skin cracks/blisters. Set aside.
6. Fry the chopped garlic until golden brown. Strain and set aside.
7. Saute the French beans for a few minutes. Set aside.
8. Prepare the roux: in a skillet, add butter, when melted then add the flour. Cook for one minute.
9. Use the roux to thicken the sinigang broth. Add the roux slowly to the broth while mixing with a whisk.
10. Start plating. Add the beef, beans, tomatoes, garlic and shallots on your plate (if you have a sizzling plate much better)
11. Pour the thickened sinigang broth in top of the plated dish and top with garlic chips. Best served with fried rice.
Download a printable copy of this recipe here.